School Leadership in Teaching and Learning
Study of administrators’ roles in decision making, evaluation, performance appraisal, school organization and operation, problem identification and resolution, goal setting, planning, as well as management team concepts. Examination of various experiences that affect both teacher and learner.
Focus on the process of growth and change in the adult and various ways of enabling individuals to gain professional competence. Includes skills needed in designing, implementing and evaluating staff development programs.
Curriculum Theory and Evaluation
Analysis of various approaches to curriculum theory. Examination of the educational strengths and weaknesses of these theories as they are implemented in different school environments. Evaluation of the effectiveness of school curriculum programs. (Prerequisite: EDL 622)
Orientation to Doctoral Research
Guidance of student efforts to translate theoretical constructions and research ideas into useful plans to be incorporated into the research proposal. Focus will be placed on developing effective APA writing skills as well as methods of defense of written plans. Course includes preparation for all aspects of the dissertation process. Grading is Pass or Fail. (Prerequisite: successful completion of required course work and comprehensive examination.)
View Full Curriculum
- EDL 702 Methods of Doctoral Research (3)
- EDL 720 Orientation to Doctoral Research (3)
- EDL 721 School Leadership in Teaching & Learning (3)
- EDL 722 Personnel Management & Labor Relations (3)
- EDL 723 School Business Management (3)
- EDL 724 Organization Development & Change Theory (3)
- EDL 725 Communication Theory & Practice (3)
- EDL 726 Political, Economic & Social Structures (3)
- EDL 727 PA School Code & School Board Policies (3)
- EDL 728 Curriculum Theory & Evaluation (3)
- EDL 729 Curriculum Management (3)
- EDL 730 Pupil Personnel Services (3)
- EDL 731 Advanced Supervision (3)
- EDL 732 Staff Development (3)
- EDL 734 Dissertation Research Seminar (3)
- EDL 797 Comprehensive Examination (0)
- EDL 798-799-800 Dissertation (3-9)
- EDL 000 Dissertation Continuation (0)
Prerequisites—12 credits or the equivalent experience
- GEN 502 Methods of Research (3)
- EDL 622 Curriculum and Instruction (3)
- EDL 623 Supervision (3)
- EDL 625 School Law & the Legal Process (3)
George Fiore, ’14 Ed.D., executive director of the Chester County Intermediate Unit, is just one of hundreds of graduates of Immaculata’s Ed.D. program.
It’s often you will hear Immaculata’s credentials attached to administrators throughout the region. In fact, Fiore’s predecessor at the CCIU, Joseph O’Brien, also earned his Ed.D. at Immaculata in 2001 and taught Fiore in class. With seasoned professionals teaching in the Ed.D. program, Fiore appreciated that they understood real-world situations. He says that his professors continually stressed that there are multiple perspectives and multiple stakeholders on every issue and that they need to be taken into account when making decisions.
Principal, Garnet Valley High School
Just the facts
superintendents and assistant superintendents
public school principals
Grounded in IHM tradition and charism since 1920.
Find out what an IU education can do for your mind, your character and your future.