Nursing Education Concentration in Ed.D. in Higher Education
This concentration equips nurses to become qualified faculty and academic leaders at the collegiate level who can teach in both the classroom and clinical settings. You must be a registered nurse (R.N.) and hold a Master of Science in Nursing to enroll in this concentration.
Hybrid Instructional Delivery
Adopting an accelerated delivery model, courses during the fall and spring semesters are designed in a 7-week format blending the flexibility of asynchronous online learning with the benefit of synchronous real-time instruction. In each seven-week course you will attend online face-to-face classes through web-conferencing in weeks 1, 3, 5, and 7. Courses scheduled during the summer follow a 5-week format, with synchronous class sessions in weeks 1, 3 and 5.
The 54-credt program is designed to be completed in four years or less. Generally, students take six credits, or two courses, per semester sequentially.
Study Higher Education and Specialize in Nursing Education
The foundational curriculum allows you to study all aspects of higher education. The specialty courses in nursing education cover various concerns related to the field of nursing, helping you develop knowledge and skills specific to this discipline.
Learning outcomes specific to the Nursing Education Concentration
- Roles and Practices – Evidence in-depth knowledge of the nurse educators’ roles and practices in higher education as faculty members and academic leaders
- Evidence-Based Strategies – Conceive evidenced-based strategies to design, implement, evaluate and improve nursing education to reflect modern theory and trends in higher education, healthcare, and nursing practice
- Curriculum and Program Development – Design curriculum and programs in nursing education including planning for development, implementation, assessment and evaluation using 21st century delivery and assessment methodologies
- Advance the Science of Nursing Education – Contribute to the advancement of the science of nursing education through intellectual inquiry and creative scholarship
Dissertation Research Support
You will focus your research on a topic you select, focused on issues critical to nursing education. Your dissertation committee chair will be a highly qualified scholar-practitioner with expertise in the field you select for your research topic.
Specialty Courses for the Nursing Education Concentration: 15 Credits
- HED 770 Program Development & Evaluation in Nursing Education (3)
- HED 771 Instructional Design & Curriculum Development in Nursing Education (3)
- HED 772 Learning Theory & Practice for Classroom & Clinical Nursing Education (3)
- HED 773 Advanced Scientific Inquiry in Nursing Education (3)
- HED 820 Applied Field Experience in Nursing & Health Care (3)
You will complete a field experience in an area of nursing education, nursing education administration, or nursing education leadership focused on applications within higher education.