Adult Professional Studies
At a Glance
- Program: Associate of Arts in English
- Audience: Undergraduate adult learners
- Format: face-to-face and online
- Next Start Date: August 28, 2023
- Cost: $250 per credit
- Time to Completion: Approximately two years
Build your mastery of one of the most desirable skills employers seek
Students earning an Associate of Arts in English can engage in lively discussions of literary works, learn different theories of literary criticism, develop proficiency with digital media, develop critical thinking and creative writing skills, and become familiar with classic and contemporary works.
Opportunities and Outcomes
A degree in English prepares you for a variety of professional paths. The versatile skills you develop are applicable to numerous fields, including law, business, publishing, marketing, government, media, education, philanthropy and the arts.
Graduates with an associate in English, can work in positions including:
- executive assistant: $39,680
- proofreader/copy editor: $46,010
- legal assistant: $56,230
- technical writer: $78,060
- and more
Program Delivery and Structure
The Associate of Arts in English degree requires 63 credits that can be completed in as few as two years. Course are offered in various formats, including face-to-face and online.
Tuition per credit is $250, and students can transfer in previous college credits and earn credit for equivalent work experience.
Various types of financing options are available to assist students. For further information, contact the Office of Financial Aid at 484-323-3028, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students can also continue their studies in Immaculata’s bachelor’s degree in English.
Completion Of 63 Credits
A Cumulative GPA Of 2.0 Or Above On A 4.0 Scale
Liberal Arts Core 27 Credits
- Composition (English/Writing) 6 credits
- Natural & Physical World/Quantitative Reasoning (Lab Science/Math) 3 credits
- Human Creativity/Historical & Social Consciousness/Global Society
- (Art, Literature, History, Social Science, Economics, Foreign Language & Culture) 9 credits
- Pursuit of Faith (Religion, Theology) 6 credits
- Pursuit of Wisdom (Philosophy) 3 credits
Major Courses 18 Credits
- 100-Level Literature Course 3 credits
- Literary Analysis and Research 3 credits
- 200-Level Literature Course 3 credits
- Advanced Composition 3 credits
- 300-Level English Electives 6 credits
Electives 18 Credits
Total 63 Credits
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that job growth for proofreaders/copy editors is expected to be near 7% through 2031, and the median annual salary for professionals in the field is more than $46,000. Salaries are higher for technical writers, who average close to $80,000 and enjoy steady employment with job growth projected at 6% through 2031.
For Tim Schaffer, an associate degree from Immaculata led to supervisory roles at his company. Read more.
Grounded in IHM tradition and charism since 1920.
Find out what an IU education can do for your mind, your character and your future.