Biology, A.A., A.S.
Examine living organisms, their biochemistry, behavior and interaction with their environments.
If you're captivated by the mysteries of the natural world, fascinated by the complexity of living organisms, and eager to unlock the secrets of life, then our associate degrees in biology are your gateway to the future.
Explore the science of living things and ecosystems in Immaculata’s A.A. or A.S. in Biology.
- Set up and use lab equipment safely to collect, test and analyze samples
- Practice logical reasoning and effective communication about scientific topics
- Utilize statistics, models and computers to analyze and interpret data
- Evaluate ethical considerations in modern biological research
- Apply the scientific method
At A Glance
Program: Associate of Arts or Associate of Science
Audience: Undergraduate adult learners
Format: Face-to-face classes
Next Start Date: January 16, 2024
Cost: $250 per credit
Time to Completion Approximately two years
"The Biology program at Immaculata University has provided me with the necessary framework to succeed in my career. It has helped me develop critical-thinking, time management and problem-solving skills. The professors are always supportive, and it is evident that they care about their students, making the college experience at Immaculata University that much more enjoyable. One of the reasons I liked the small school atmosphere was because the professors knew everyone by name. I could walk into my professor's office and ask for help because they knew everyone in our classes."
An associate degree in biology prepares you for further education or a variety of technician jobs in settings such as:
- Veterinary offices
- Agricultural environments
- Manufacturing plants
You may work with biologists, medical scientists, zoologists, food safety professionals or other scientists.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, median salaries for careers in biology include:
Maximize your previous coursework by transferring up to 33 credits into this program, or earn credit for workplace training through Immaculata’s Credit for Prior Learning program.
Explore scientific concepts and gain experience with top-notch equipment in IU’s new Parsons Science Pavilion, with modern biology, anatomy and physiology labs.
Associate of Science in Biology
- BIOL 090 (four semesters)
- Cell Biology
- Evolution and Diversity
- Ecology OR Vertebrate Structure and Function OR Molecular Biology
- Fundamental Chemical Concepts I and II
- Organic Chemistry I and II
- Applied Calculus I and II
Seamlessly transition from the A.S. into the B.A. or B.S. in biology at Immaculata.
Associate of Arts in Biology
- Basic College Chemistry I and II
- Introductory Organic Chemistry
- Introductory Biochemistry
- Basic College Mathematics I and II
- 16 elective credits from Biology 100, 200, and/or 300-level courses
Liberal Arts Core – 27 credits, 3 fulfilled by major
- Composition (English/Writing) 6 credits
- Natural & Physical World/Quantitative Reasoning (Lab Science/Math) 3 credits, fulfilled by major
- Community 9 credits
- Pursuit of Faith (Religion, Theology) 6 credits
- Pursuit of Wisdom (Philosophy) 3 credits
ELECTIVES – 0 credits for A.S. and 5 credits for A.A.
TOTAL – 66 credits for A.S. and 63 credits for A.A.