Adult Professional Studies
At a Glance
- Program: Associate of Arts or Associate of Science in Biology
- Audience: Undergraduate adult learners
- Format: Face-to-face classes
- Next Start Date: July 5, 2023
- Cost:$250 per credit
- Time to Completion: Approximately two years, depending on credits transferred
Examine living organisms, their biochemistry, behavior and interaction with their environments.
Explore the science of living things and ecosystems in Immaculata’s A.A. or A.S. in Biology.
- Set up and use lab equipment safely to collect, test and analyze samples
- Practice logical reasoning and effective communication about scientific topics
- Utilize statistics, models and computers to analyze and interpret data
- Evaluate ethical considerations in modern biological research
- Apply the scientific method
Opportunities and Outcomes
An associate degree in biology prepares you for further education or a variety of technician jobs in settings such as:
- Veterinary offices
- Agricultural environments
- Manufacturing plants
You may work with biologists, medical scientists, zoologists, food safety professionals or other scientists.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, median salaries for careers in biology include:
Maximize your previous coursework by transferring up to 33 credits into this program, or earn credit for workplace training through Immaculata’s Credit for Prior Learning program.
Explore scientific concepts and gain experience with top-notch equipment in IU’s new Parsons Science Pavilion, with modern biology, anatomy and physiology labs.
Associate of Science in Biology
- BIOL 090 (four semesters)
- Cell Biology
- Evolution and Diversity
- Ecology OR Vertebrate Structure and Function OR Molecular Biology
- Fundamental Chemical Concepts I and II
- Organic Chemistry I and II
- Applied Calculus I and II
Seamlessly transition from the A.S. into the B.A. or B.S. in biology at Immaculata.
Associate of Arts in Biology
- Basic College Chemistry I and II
- Introductory Organic Chemistry
- Introductory Biochemistry
- Basic College Mathematics I and II
- 16 elective credits from Biology 100, 200, and/or 300-level courses
Liberal Arts Core – 27 credits, 3 fulfilled by major
- Composition (English/Writing) 6 credits
- Natural & Physical World/Quantitative Reasoning (Lab Science/Math) 3 credits, fulfilled by major
- Community 9 credits
- Pursuit of Faith (Religion, Theology) 6 credits
- Pursuit of Wisdom (Philosophy) 3 credits
ELECTIVES – 0 credits for A.S. and 5 credits for A.A.
TOTAL – 66 credits for A.S. and 63 credits for A.A.
You can apply to Immaculata’s adult professional programs in four simple steps. If you have questions, please contact us via email@example.com or by phone at 484-323-3060.
Parsons Science Pavilion
Immaculata’s new Parsons Science Pavilion offers top-notch laboratories and equipment for exploring scientific concepts, conducting experiments and gaining research experience with faculty mentorship.
For Tim Schaffer, an associate degree from Immaculata led to supervisory roles at his company. Read more.
Grounded in IHM tradition and charism since 1920.
Find out what an IU education can do for your mind, your character and your future.