Nursing and Health Professions
While I enjoyed a successful career as an administrator in the health care field, advancement opportunities were somewhat limited. Through my studies in program, I gained insight into many things that helped in the day-to-day operations within my organization. Specifically, the leadership and organizational dynamics courses are essential for anyone in a management role. Working in a highly regulated environment, I found coursework related to legal and ethical issues to be invaluable.
As you learn from faculty who are experienced health care professionals, you will progress through this cohort-based program with the support of your classmates and a personal research advisor. You may be eligible to earn academic credit for college-level experiences through IU’s credit for prior learning program.
Where Can I Work?
The rapidly aging population in the United States is contributing to the high demand for health care management jobs. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that employment of medical and health service managers will increase 28% in the coming decade, much faster than the average for all occupations.
- Blue Bell, PA: Montgomery County Community College
- 100% Online
- Virtual Classroom
Completion of 126 credits
A cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above on a 4.0 scale
LIBERAL ARTS CORE – 36 CREDITS (18 fulfilled by major)
- Composition (Writing) (3 credits satisfied by ENG 242) – 6 credits
- Natural & Physical World (Lab Science) – 3 credits
- Quantitative Reasoning (Mathematics) (3 credits satisfied by ORBH 325) – 3 credits
- Human Creativity (Art, Literature, Music) – 3 credits
- Social Consciousness (Sociology, Psychology, Economics) (3 credits satisfied by COM 355) – 3 credits
- Historical Consciousness (History) – 3 credits
- Global Society (Foreign Language/Culture) (3 credits satisfied by CCS 341) – 3 credits
- Pursuit of Faith (Religion/Theology) (3 credits satisfied by THE 381 or THE 385) – 6 credits
- Pursuit of Wisdom (Philosophy) (3 credits satisfied by PHI 384) – 6 credits
MAJOR COURSES – 54 CREDITS
- BUSL 378 Team Leadership and Coaching – 3 credits
- HCM 201 Medical Terminology – 3 credits
- HCM 302 Contemporary Issues in Health Care – 3 credits
- HCM 340 Legal/Social Aspects of Health Care – 3 credits
- HCM 311 Health Care Information Systems – 3 credits
- HCM 306 Human Resource Management in Health Care Settings – 3 credits
- HCM 314 Financial Accounting in Health Care Systems – 3 credits
- HCM 315 Financial Reporting in Health Care Systems – 3 credits
- HCM 321 Leadership in Health Care – 3 credits
- HCM 326 Community Relations in Health Care – 3 credits
- ORBH 315 Capstone Proposal Design – 3 credits
- ORBH 325 Research and Analysis Using Statistics – 3 credits
- ORBH 395 Capstone Synthesis & Presentation – 3 credits
- COM 355 Effective Business Communication in the Digital Age – 3 credits
- ENG 242 Writing for Applied Research – 3 credits
- PHI 384 Organizational Ethics – 3 credits
- THE 335 or THE 381 Christian Faith in Action or Foundations of Spiritual Freedom – 3 credits
- CCS 341 Cultural Modes of Expression – 3 credits
ELECTIVES — 54 credits
TOTAL — 126 credits
Grounded in IHM tradition and charism since 1920.
Find out what an IU education can do for your mind, your character and your future.