Immaculata University is committed to providing reasonable academic accommodations to students eligible under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Accommodations are tailored to the differing needs of each student. Common academic accommodations include:
- Extended time for testing
- Electronic copies of lecture notes, use of a SmartPen and/or ability to utilize a student note taker
- The option to take exams in a distraction-reduced testing environment.
- Textbooks in an alternative format
- Other college-appropriate accommodations as listed in the recommendation section of the student’s psycho-educational evaluation
It is highly recommended that all first year students receiving academic accommodations meet regularly with an Academic Coach. We recommend students meet every other week to discuss their academic progress, classroom environment and study habits. Individualized academic coaching is available to all students who feel they may benefit from this service.
- Online Intake Form for New Students
- All students requesting academic accommodations are required to first complete the Online Intake Form. The Intake Form MUST be completed by the student requesting accommodations. Parents and/or guardians are encouraged to send general questions to AcademicSuccess@Immaculata.edu.
- Online Intake Form for Returning Students
- Returning students are required to complete this form in order to receive an updated Letter of Accommodations. Please send any questions to AcademicSuccess@Immaculata.edu.
For additional information, please email: AcademicSuccess@Immaculata.edu
What are Academic Accommodations?
Academic accommodation as required by law is not meant to diminish academic standards. It is intended to create an opportunity for students with disabilities to learn and for professors to evaluate fairly. Students with disabilities expect access and opportunities, not alterations in academic expectations. Academic requirements and course objectives should remain unchanged. Modifications may need to be made in the way a student receives information or demonstrates knowledge but not in the academic proficiency standards. In accordance with Immaculata University’s policies and procedures, the University’s non-discrimination policy, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 as amended, and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, Immaculata University prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability and provides reasonable accommodations to eligible staff, faculty, and students unless doing so will impose an undue hardship on the University.
Although it is the duty of the University to provide reasonable accommodations, it is the responsibility of the student with the need to request a reasonable accommodation in a realistic time frame. Please email AcademicSuccess@Immaculata.edu or call 484-323-3900 for more information regarding accommodations.
Students with a documented disability should review the Immaculata University Handbook for Academic Accommodations.
Differences Between High School and College Accommodations
|Role of Support Services:|
|Role of Teacher or Instructor:|