Research Ethics Training
Researchers are required to provide evidence of training in research ethics. The approved program is the Social-Behavioral-Education (SBE) Comprehensive through CITI. Certificates should be dated within three years of protocol submission.
Guidelines for Research Using Immaculata Populations
All research to be conducted at Immaculata University requires the initial review and approval of the appropriate dean(s), administrators, and faculty members. The following guidelines are to be observed regarding internal and external requests for research using Immaculata populations.
- The proposed study must be submitted with a brief, written request to the Dean for Academic Affairs. This request must be in the form of a letter that includes: purpose of the study, for whom the study is being prepared (institution, program and/or class), population(s) involved, projected timeline of the study, the benefits of the study for Immaculata, the faculty moderator for the study, design of the study, and student contact information. The Dean will review the research request and determine its appropriateness for Immaculata University.
- Upon the request’s approval by the Dean, the student or researcher must submit to the RERB a written protocol to conduct research using populations affiliated in any way with Immaculata University. The research protocol and any materials to be distributed must be submitted along with documentation reflecting the academic affiliation of the researcher (i.e. a letter from the faculty moderator on letterhead from the University).
- These materials must pass the review process affiliated with any research conducted by students attending Immaculata University, which includes but is not restricted to the RERB.
- If the research is approved by the RERB, a recommendation will be forwarded to the appropriate Dean and the Vice President for Academic Affairs (VPAA). The VPAA must approve all research to be conducted by parties outside of Immaculata University.
- The recommendation of the vice president is forwarded to the president, who makes the final decision whether the research may be conducted using populations directly associated with Immaculata University.
- Copies of final approvals will be sent to the chair of the RERB within a 60-day period from the initial submission of materials to the Dean of Academic Affairs. However, outside research initiatives will not be given priority over the review of materials and activities directly connected with the institution.
Guidance for Student Research & Class Projects
Protocol submissions are accepted for review the 10th of every month. Protocols must be received by 5 p.m. on the 10th of the submission month. The board decisions may take four weeks from that date.
- Marcia Parris, Ed.D., Chair
Mark Hammons, Ed.D.
Cecile Adkins, Ed.D.
Jolie Bell, Ph.D.
Kristy Brumfield, Ph.D.
William Carr, DMA
Laura Eisemann, Ed.D.
Daniel Ginsburg, Ph.D.
David Hunt, Ph.D.,
Qian Jia, Ph.D.
Julie Keaveney, Psy.D.
Erin Kirschmann, Ph.D.
Carol Lorup, Ph.D.
James Murray, Jr., Ph.D.
Sandra Nolan, Ph.D.
Francien Richardson, Psy.D.
Mary Tabit, Psy.D.
Grounded in IHM tradition and charism since 1920.
Find out what an IU education can do for your mind, your character and your future.