Immaculata University’s 21-credit Reading Specialist certification program will help you acquire an in-depth understanding of literacy development, administration and analysis of assessments, and research-based instructional practices.
You will be prepared to serve as a reading specialist who effectively:
- Addresses the needs of individual students, as well as the broader needs of the school community
- Leads instructional initiatives that promote literacy development; and
- Provides leadership to teachers and administrators.
The need for reading specialists has never been greater. National statistics indicate over 60% of students demonstrate a lack of proficiency in reading, scoring Basic or Below Basic on grade-level assessments. These data indicate the need for more trained and certified Reading Specialists to provide direct remediation to struggling students and to serve as literacy leaders in terms of professional development and sharing their expertise with the professional staff in schools and districts.
You will become competent in literacy development, assessment administration, data analysis, and best-practices in instruction in order to meet the needs of all of your diverse learners.
- Accelerated seven-week courses offered in a combination of hybrid and online delivery
- Program includes seven master’s-level courses, including practicum (21 graduate credits) that can be completed in as little as 4 semesters
- 14-week practicum in the field guided by on-site mentor and Immaculata University professor
- Earn your M.A. in Educational Leadership with just 9 additional credits!
- EDL 645 Language Arts Methods, Grades 5-12
- EDL 614 Instructional Needs of ELL
- EDL 677 Children’s Literature
- EDL 644 Language Arts Methods
- EDL 679 Planning and Leading a Literacy Program
- EDL 678 Reading Diagnosis and Remediation
- EDL 692 Reading Specialist Practicum