Administration & Instruction Concentration in Ed.D. in Higher Education
This concentration equips professionals to expand and enhance knowledge, skills, and attitudes to serve as effective faculty and administrative leaders at the collegiate level.
Hybrid Instructional Delivery
Adopting an accelerated delivery model, courses during the fall and spring semesters are designed in a 7-week format blending the flexibility of asynchronous online learning with the benefit of synchronous real-time instruction. In each seven-week course you will attend online face-to-face classes through web-conferencing in weeks 1, 3, 5, and 7. Courses scheduled during the summer follow a 5-week format, with synchronous class sessions in weeks 1, 3 and 5.
The 54-credt program is designed to be completed in four years or less. Generally, students take six credits, or two courses, per semester sequentially.
Study Higher Education and Specialize in Administration and Instruction
The foundational curriculum for the doctoral program allows you to study broadly in the field of higher education. The specialty courses in administration and instruction cover various topics instrumental for leadership in higher education, helping you develop knowledge and skills specific to academic and leadership assignments in colleges and universities.
Learning outcomes specific to the Administration and Instruction Concentration
- Purposes and Practice – Evidence breadth of understanding of the factors influencing and supporting higher education, its purpose and its practices viewed from the perspective of administration and faculty
- Roles, Responsibilities, & Governance – Evidence in-depth knowledge of the roles, responsibilities, and governance of faculty and administration in higher education
- Assessment & Institutional Effectiveness – Demonstrate knowledge of the science of learning assessment and institutional effectiveness and best practices for institutional change and innovation in higher education
- Advancement of Administration and Learning – Contribute to the advancement of administration and/or student learning effectiveness in higher education through intellectual inquiry and scholarship.
Dissertation Research Support
You will focus your research on a topic you select, focused on issues critical to administration and/or instruction in contemporary American higher education. Your dissertation committee chair will be a highly qualified scholar-practitioner with expertise in the field you select for your research topic.
Courses specifically designed to support the Administration and Instruction Concentration include:
- HED 715 Change and Innovation in Higher Education (3)
- HED 725 Finance and Strategic Planning (3)
- HED 732 Assessment of Student Learning (3)
- HED 748 Enrollment Management (3)
- HED 820 Applied Field Experience in Administration and Instruction (3)
You will complete a field experience in an area of administration and instruction focused on a segment of the college and university environment in which you have particular interest and/or desire to advance a particular expertise.