Faculty & Staff Directory
Sister J. Sheila Galligan, IHM, S.T.L., S.T.D.
Title: Professor Emerita of Theology
Office: Faculty Center 34
Phone: (610) 647-4400 Ext: 3484
1985 Angelicum, Rome; S.T.L., S.T.D., Theology
1980 St. Charles Seminary, Overbrook, PA; M.A., Religious Studies
1972 Immaculata College; B.A., Theology
Sister J. Sheila Galligan, IHM, has been a professor in the Department of Theology at Immaculata University since 1990. She teaches many of the elective/special topics courses. She has delved deeply into the lives and literary legacies of C.S. Lewis and John Paul II. Sister Sheila is actively engaged in promoting respect for human life.
I believe that “theology plays a particularly important role in the search for a synthesis of knowledge as well as in the dialogue between faith and reason” (John Paul II, Ex Corde #19). Thus the study of theology affords students opportunities to engage in faithful, critical and spiritual reflection upon the rich Catholic intellectual tradition as well as upon the way in which that tradition has concretely engaged in explicit and/or implicit conversation with the broader culture throughout history. Through theology’s harmonious union of faith and reason, human knowledge and experience come to be informed by true wisdom.
My hope is that students will acquire the knowledge, skills, and habits of virtue that will make it possible for each of them to know their own dignity (created in God’s image); appreciate that same dignity in others, and therefore put their unique gifts at the service of all people. Thus they will set themselves freely and confidently on the path to true happiness in this life and in the life to come. And that, after all, is the ultimate purpose of a fully integrated education.
Other teaching experience:
- Pontifical College Josephinum, Summer 1998: Deadly Sins and Saving Virtues
- St. Charles Seminary, Summer 2002: Mary: Doctrine and Devotion
- St. Charles Seminary, Spring 2000-2012: Mary: Doctrine and Devotion (Diaconate Program)
- St. Charles Seminary, May 2014 mini-mester: Deadly Sins and Saving Virtues
- Ad-hoc committee to oversee the use of the Catechism (NCCB), Archbishop Buechlein
- Villanova Consortium for Mission Effectiveness
- Archdiocese of Philadelphia: Pastoral Council
- Catholic Library World: 55 Book Reviews (1996-2006)
- Generation Life
- Immaculata University “Macs Respect Life” Club Moderator
THE 109 Introduction to Theology
THE 112 St. Francis
THE 209 The Mystery of Sin and Salvation
THE 212 Insights and Images: Mary Rediscovered
THE 225 John Paul II: A Remarkable Life
THE 230 Embodying Forgiveness
THE 321 Old Testament Themes
THE 335 Christian Faith in Action (accelerated)
Sister Sheila is currently exploring questions and issues linked with the topic of forgiveness. She was able to attend the first World Apostolic Congress on Mercy in Rome (April 2-6, 2008). Her primary interest is focused on the theological (biblical/spiritual) aspects of forgiveness. She is also interested in delving more deeply into the contemporary behavioral research on the means, processes and effects of forgiveness. The goal of her research is to understand the interpersonal, intra-personal and group processes that lead to effective Christian forgiveness.
American Theological Inquiry (online journal), Robert Coles; Seeing the Secular in Light of the Sacred, July 2009. http://atijournal.org/Vol2No2.htm
Review for Religious
- “Mary: A Mosaic of Joy,” January-February 1984
- “A Word about Praising,” January-February l988
- “Prayer: All My Comfort,” November-December 1994
- “Bride of Christ: Ecclesial Identity,” September-October 2000
- “The Tension between Poverty and Possessions in Luke,” Spring, l985. www.spiritualitytoday.org/spir2day/853711galligan.html
- “The Augustinian Connection: Beatitudes and Gifts,” Spring, l986. www.spiritualitytoday.org/spir2day/863816galligan.html
- “Sheltered by the Mercy: St. Catherine and the Gentle Way,” Spring, l990. www.spiritualitytoday.org/spir2day/904212gallagan.html
- “And the Mother of Jesus was There,” December 1993.
- “In the Footsteps of the Poor and Humble Christ,” August 1996.
- “A Word of Encouragement,” Jan/Feb 2008.
- “Colossians: Prayer,” April 2008.
- “The Marian Mystery: Faithful Disciple, Mother of Mercy,” May/June 2014.
The Living Light
- “The Courage to Care,” Summer 1995.
The Catholic Answer
- “Role Clarity and Women Religious,” September-October 2001.
- “When Truth Stumbles in the Public Square,” January-February 2002.
- “Religious Life: Reclaiming Role Clarity,” September-October 2001.
- “Please Pass the Salt,” January-February 2003.
January 9, “St. Francis of Assisi: Mentor and Model,” St. Joseph’s Parish, Downingtown, PA
March 1, “Mary,” Catechetical Forum, Archbishop Carroll High School, Radnor, PA
March 18, “John Paul II: Marian Pope, Mercy Pope,” St. Joseph Parish, Aston, PA
April 6, “Forgiveness,” St. Richard Parish, Philadelphia, PA
April 14, “Catherine of Siena: Feisty Fire of Love,” Bishop Shanahan High School, Coatesville, PA
April 26, “John Paul II: Mercy Without Measure,” Malvern Retreat House, Malvern, PA
April 28, “John Paul II: The People’s Pope,” Theology on Tap at Greara’s Bar, Philadelphia, PA
April 30, “Arise and Call her Blessed,” St. Mary of the Assumption Parish, Hockessin, DE
May 12, “The Fire of Faith,” St. David Parish, Willowgrove, PA
June 12, “The Wow and the Woe of the Psalms,” Malvern Retreat House, Malvern, PA
January 15, “The Wow and the Woe of the Psalms,” St. Joseph Parish, Downingtown, PA
March 2, “Clothed in Christ: The Garments of Glory,” Catechetical Forum, Archbishop Carroll High School, Radnor, PA
April 27, “Forgiveness: The Best Revenge,” Sts. Philip and James, Exton, PA
May 14, “Mary: Model and Mentor,” Our Lady of Good Counsel, Southampton, PA
May 17, “John Paul II: The People’s Pope,” Catholic Business Network, Edgemont Country Club
June 10, “Forgiveness: The Best Revenge,” Maris Grove Center
September 9, “Cultivating a Catholic Character,” St. Mary of the Assumption Parish, Phoenixville, PA
September 11, “Catherine of Siena: Feisty Fire of Love,” St. Agnes Parish, West Chester, PA
November 26, “The Wow and the Woe of the Psalms,” St. Aloysius Retreat House, Bryn Mawr, PA
December 5, “Forgiveness: Path to Peace,” St. Norbert Parish, Paoli, PA
April 2–6, 2008, World Apostolic Congress on Mercy, Rome, Italy.
May 17–20, 2011, Mariological Society of America Conference, Scottsdale, AZ.
June 9–11, 2011, University Faculty for Life Conference, Notre Dame, IN.
January 30, 2011, Philip Jenkins, Ph.D., “The Next Christendom: The Rise of Global Christianity,”
GST Lecture Series, St. Charles Borromeo Seminary, Overbrook, PA.
June 1–3, 2012, University Faculty for Life, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT.
May 20–24, 2014, Mariological Society of America Conference, La Crosse, WI
July 9–11, 2014, International Theology of the Body Congress, Philadelphia, PA
July 17–20, 2014, Courage Conference, Villanova University, Villanova, PA
“Slow-Paced We Come: Conversion in the Writings of C.S. Lewis”