Military and Veterans Benefits
Hugh J. Murray Jr., army combat veteran

“The entire campus staff have been amazing and really make an effort to make the students feel comfortable and confident. It’s been awhile since I’ve been in school, and the transition back has been so much better when you can lean on the staff and have all your needs and questions addressed.” — Hugh J. Murray Jr., army combat veteran

Immaculata University proudly supports service members in their pursuit of a college education.

Immaculata University is a proud supporter of active military and their families pursuing higher education, and we participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

If you are interested in attending Immaculata University and applying for military tuition benefits, you may do so in 3 simple steps. We help you through the entire process, making it easy for you to get started.

Learn more below about how to apply to Immaculata University, apply for financial aid, and what programs are available for you to explore further. Additionally there are resources that you may find helpful in your college search.

1. Apply to Immaculata

If you are not yet a student at Immaculata University, you must apply for admission.

Apply for an undergraduate or graduate program.

2. Apply for financial aid

You may be qualified for additional state and federal financial aid. Applying for financial aid must be done every year. You will find information about financial aid and tuition assistance opportunities from the Office of Financial Aid.

3. Review your eligibility

The Department of Veterans Affairs offers several different programs for individuals that meet specific qualifications. For the most up-to-date information on the G.I. Bill®, visit Please read the descriptions of the programs available through the Department of Veterans Affairs and the program requirements listed below to determine your eligiblity.

  • Montgomery G.I. Bill (Chapter 30)
    • You are eligible if you enlisted after July 1, 1985; served at least two years on Active Duty; your pay was reduced by $100 per month for the first 12 months of service; you have an honorable discharge; and you have not passed the 10-year delimiting date.
  • Montgomery G.I. Bill – Selected Reserves (Chapter 1606)
    • You are eligible if you incurred a 6-year enlistment in the Selected Reserves or the National Guard after July 1, 1985; completed initial active duty training; are serving in good standing in your unit; and you have not passed the 10-year delimiting date.
  • Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 32) and Vietnam Era G.I. Bill (Chapter 34)
    • Eligibility depends on the dates of active duty service; amount contributed; and recent VA legislation. Call the VA at 1.888.442.4551 to determine your individual eligibility.
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)
    • See the questions and answers page to learn more about this benefit, which became available in 2005.
  • Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)
    • Dependents of veterans (spouses and children ages 18-26) are eligible if the veteran has a 100 percent service-connected disability or the veteran’s death was service-connected.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)
    • Veterans who suffered a service-connected disability while on active duty and need vocational rehabilitation as a result of their disability (normally 20 percent or greater) may be eligible for benefits. See more information about this benefit by clicking on the link above.
  • The Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
    • The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after Sept. 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for this Bill, which became effective for training in 2009.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Additional Contacts

Local Philadelphia Veterans Benefit Office
Veterans Administration Office
5000 Wissahickon Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19101

4. Apply for benefits

Please review the eligibility requirements to see if you qualify for educational benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs. In order to do this, log in to the Veterans Affairs website. You may also call 1-888-442-4551.

Next Steps

If you qualified for benefits, you will receive a letter of eligibility from the Department of Veterans Affairs. Once you receive your letter of eligibility, send a copy of that letter to:

Undergraduate Students

Kate Commiskey
Assistant Director, Student Support Services
Immaculata University
PO Box 300
Immaculata, PA 19320
610-647-4400 ext. 3242

Graduate Students

Karen Wolkov
Office Manager, College of Graduate Studies
PO Box 500
Immaculata, PA 19320
610-647-4400 ext. 3211

Your Responsibilities

  • If you drop/add or change your schedule, you must inform either Kate Commiskey or Karen Wolkov in writing. Changes to your schedule may impact your eligibility for benefits.
  • If you receive an updated eligibility letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs, it is your responsibility to forward that letter on to Kate Commiskey or Karen Wolkov.
  • Individuals receiving tuition benefits must adhere to all Immaculata University policies.
  • Reimbursement criteria for non-successful course completion have changed. For the purpose of reimbursement, a successful course completion is defined as a grade of “C” or higher for undergraduate courses, a “B” or higher for graduate courses, and a “Pass” for “Pass/Fail” grades. These reimbursement policies will be effective for courses starting September 6, 2014 or later. Students will be responsible for any charges not covered by benefits.


  • G.I. Bill Comparison Tool —This tool will assist you in calculating your benefits and in researching approved academic programs.
  • Paying for College Website—Get help in making informed financial decisions about how to pay for college.
  • Loans—You may apply for both federal and private loans. Learn about the differences between federal and private loans. If you are awarded more federal financial aid than you need, you may cancel the loan or accept less than offered. Before your loan money is disbursed, you may cancel all or part of your loan at any time by notifying the Office of Financial Aid. After your loan is disbursed, you may cancel all or part of the loan within certain time frames. Your promissory note will explain the procedures and time frames for canceling your loan.
  • Immaculata University College Scorecard: The college scorecard provides information about Immaculata’ s affordability and value.
  • College Navigator: Learn more about Immaculata using the National Center for Education Statistics program.
  • TA Decide: This comparison tool is designed specifically to aid participants of DoD’s Tuition Assistance (TA) program in making informed choices on schools and education programs.

Discover Immaculata

Grounded in IHM tradition and charism since 1920.

Find out what an IU education can do for your mind, your character and your future.