FAQs: About Degree Works

You are here

What is Degree Works?

Degree Works is a computerized degree audit program and academic advising tool designed to assist you and your advisors in reviewing your degree progress. A web-based program, Degree Works re-organizes your transcript chronologically and categorically, easily identifying the courses you have completed and the courses you still need in order to fulfill your degree requirements.

What is an audit?

A Degree Works audit is a review of past, current, and "planned" coursework that provides information on completed and outstanding requirements necessary to complete a degree/major/minor/concentration.

Can I access Degree Works from any computer?

Yes. Access to Degree Works is through the web. Anywhere you can log into MyIU will allow you access to Degree Works.

How is my degree audit different from my transcript?

Your degree audit is a tool to provide you with academic information related to your degree progress. It displays courses required and completed in your degree program. Your transcript is your official University academic record and provides a chronological list of courses completed and other academic information. The degree audit is not an official document, but a guide to help you reach your graduation goal.

Is my information confidential?

Yes. Like other processes you use through MyIU, Degree Works is accessed through your secure log in. Remember that your advisor, faculty, and selected staff will be able to view the information contained in Degree Works.

Who has the ability to access Degree Works?

Currently, Degree Works is available to all degree-seeking students who follow the 2014-2016 catalog. Advisors, faculty, and selected staff will also have access for the purpose of supporting your progress through your academic career.

How current will my information be in Degree Works?

The information in Degree Works is refreshed each night. Any changes made today (e.g., grade changes or classes added/dropped) will be seen in Degree Works tomorrow.

Can I register for classes in Degree Works?

No. Degree Works is a snapshot of courses in-progress, planned, and in academic history. Registration will continue to be handled through Self-Service IU (SSIU) on MyIU.

Can I see how many classes I have left to fulfill my requirements?

Yes. Degree Works is laid out in block format displaying degree, major, minor, and concentration requirements information. Look for unchecked boxes to identify requirements that you still need to complete.

Will I be able to plan for future courses?

Yes, eventually. See the Planner section for information. This section will be available in November 2016.

Are my grades visible in Degree Works?

Yes. Once grades have been processed at the end of the semester, they are viewable in Degree Works following the nightly refresh; however, although grades are viewable in MyIU once posted by an instructor, final grades are not available in Degree Works until after the final grading period for the University has ended. Courses in-progress are listed with an "IP" grade. However, note that if you have holds on your account prohibiting you from seeing grades in SSIU, you will not be able to see your audit in Degree Works.

Can I see a list of all the classes I've taken?

Yes. On the Audit tab, click on the Class History link at the top for a printable list of courses taken at IU as well as transfer courses.

Does Degree Works include my AP credit and transfer work?

Once AP scores are received from the College Board and credit is granted, they are posted to the student record and will appear on the audit. Likewise, transfer work (if articulated by the Office of the Registrar) will also appear.

What do I do if I believe my academic information is incorrect?

Your academic advisor is your primary point of contact. The first step is to clarify what information you believe is wrong. If your advisor determines that your audit is incorrect, he/she will contact the Office of the Registrar for assistance.

Why isn't my information up-to-date?

There could be several reasons. One is that Degree Works may not have refreshed since a change was made (the information is refreshed nightly). Second, there could be some paperwork that needs to be completed. For example, if you have completed transfer courses, it is possible that the university has not received an official transcript or the coursework is pending departmental review. Check with the Registrar's Office if your transcript or audit does not reflect transfer work you have completed.

Why are my courses still in the In-Progress section of the audit when I already received grades?

Each term Degree Works will reset the In-Progress term to the upcoming term. This will happen the day after completion of grade processing.

How can I update information?

You cannot update course information in Degree Works. To change your major/minor/concentration, please speak with your advisor.

If I have additional questions about Degree Works, whom do I contact?

Your first point of contact should be your academic advisor. If you still have questions after that meeting, contact the Registrar's Office at registrarhelp@immaculata.edu. (Make sure to put Degree Works in the subject line.) Or you can stop by the Registrar's Office in 30 Villa Maria.

When will Degree Works be available to the campus?

Degree Works is now available to all advisors and faculty.  It is  available to students who began at IU under the 2014-2016 catalog.


More FAQs:

1145 King Road, Immaculata, PA. 19345
p. 610-647-4400 or call toll-free: 1-877-42 TODAY
Federal Compliance Links | Clery | Employment
Copyright © All Rights Reserved

1145 King Road, Immaculata, PA. 19345 p. 610-647-4400 or call toll-free: 1-877-42 TODAY
Federal Compliance Links | Clery | Employment
Immaculata University | Copyright © All Rights Reserved