History of Immaculata University

1906

Mother Camilla purchased farmland in Chester County as the future site for Villa Maria Hall

1908

Groundbreaking for Villa Maria

1914

Villa Maria Hall officially opened

1917

Post office opened in Villa Maria College (later changed to Immaculata Post Office)

1920

Mother Loyola received permission from Archdiocese of Philadelphia to found a college.

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania granted charter on November 12, 1920, making it the first Catholic college for women in the Philadelphia area

Mother M. Loyola became first president of Villa Maria College

1921

Villa Maria College opened on September 21, 1921

1925

First Commencement of Villa Maria College, with eight lay graduates and five IHM Sisters

1928

Accreditation by Middle States Association

1929

Formal change of name from Villa Maria to Immaculata College, to accommodate government regulations for the naming of the post office

Rev. Dr. Anthony Flynn named president of Immaculata College

1930

Dietetic Program approved by the American Dietetic Association

1934

First issue of The Immaculatan newspaper published

1935

Rev. Monsignor Vincent Burns named president of Immaculata College

1936

Rev. Dr. Francis Furey named president of Immaculata College

1943

Accelerated degree program offered to enable students to receive degrees more quickly because of war

1945

Establishment of the Father Gillet Cancer Research Unit (terminated in 1974)

1946

Rev. Msgr. Vincent Burns returned to serve as president of Immaculata College

1949

Field House built

1950

Bethany (a practice house for Home Economics students) opened

1953

Approval of four-year program in Elementary Education by the Pennsylvania State Council of Education

1955

Sister Mary of Lourdes named president of Immaculata College

Marian Hall, Gillet Hall, and Good Counsel Hall dedicated

1962

Faculty Center dedicated

1963

Loyola Hall dedicated

1966

Scottish terrier “Mackie” became the school mascot

1967

DeChantal Hall dedicated

Field House destroyed by fire

1969

Evening Division began as a program of continuing education for both men and women in response to the needs of the local community

1970

Alumnae Hall dedicated

1972

Mighty Macs captured the first of three consecutive national women’s college basketball championship titles

Sister Marie Antoine Buggy became president

1973

Initial approval of Early Childhood Teacher Education Program by Pennsylvania Department of Education

1974

Opening of the Early Learning Center (terminated in 2004)

1976

First Immaculata Medal awarded to Mother Teresa of Calcutta, Rose Kennedy, and Mother M. Claudia, IHM

Renewal of Plan IV Dietetic Program in the areas of General and Clinical Dietetics by the American Dietetic Association

1977

Establishment of Bicultural/Bilingual Studies master’s program (in cooperation with Marywood College)

Approval of Music Therapy Program by American Association for Music Therapy

1980

Permanent approval of Music Therapy Program by American Association of Music Therapy

1982

Sister Marian William Hoben became president

1983

Approval of Master of Arts programs in Counseling Psychology, Educational Leadership/Administration, and Nutrition Education by the Pennsylvania Department of Education

1984

Approval of upper-division Bachelor of Science in Nursing for registered nurses by Pennsylvania Department of Education

1985

National Board of Certified Counselors, Inc. approved Immaculata as a continuing education provider

1987

Approval of School Psychology Certification Program by Pennsylvania Department of Education

1988

Mr. Rogers visited campus as the commencement speaker

1990

Approval of Master of Arts in Music Therapy by the Pennsylvania Department of Education

1991

Approval of Master of Arts in Bilingual/Bicultural Studies and Master of Arts in the Teaching of Mathematics (MATM)

Approval of graduate-level Elementary Certification Program

Initial approval of Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology (Psy.D.)

Initial approval of Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership/Administration (Ed.D.)

1992

Sister Marie Roseanne Bonfini became president

1993

Doctoral program in Educational Leadership offered

Gabriele Library opened

1994

Final approval of Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology

1995

Establishment of ACCEL (Accelerated Continuing and Experiential Learning) programs, an innovative mode of delivery for working adults

1996

First doctoral degrees conferred (August 1995/May 1996)

1997

Final approval of Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership and Administration

1999

Approval of Master of Arts in Organization Leadership

2000

Initial approval from the Pennsylvania Department of Education for program in School Psychology leading to Doctor of Psychology

Immaculata adopted a three-college organizational structure, composed of the Women's College, the College of LifeLong Learning, and the College of Graduate Studies

2002

Approval of Health Care specialization by Pennsylvania Department of Education

Accreditation of B.S.N. by National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission

Immaculata granted status as a university by Pennsylvania Department of Education

Sister R. Patricia Fadden became president

2004

Master of Science in Nursing established

2005

Immaculata University's traditional undergraduate college became co-ed, and Women's College became the College of Undergraduate Studies

Approval of Professional Educator programs by Pennsylvania Department of Education (2005-2010)

2006

Accreditation of Master of Science in Nursing by Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)

Draper-Walsh Stadium dedicated

2007

Mac, a descendant of the first Scottie dog mascot, Mackie, became the new mascot of Immaculata University

2008

Initial approval of M.A. in Applied Communication by Pennsylvania Department of Education

Cathy Rush, coach of the Mighty Macs championship teams, inducted into Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame

2009

Approval of generic four-year pre-licensure B.S.N. by the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing

2011

Initial approval of Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) in Higher Education by Pennsylvania Department of Education

The feature film The Mighty Macs opened nationwide, telling the story of the 1972 Mighty Macs' first national women's college basketball championship

2012

Lettiere Admissions and Financial Aid Center dedicated

2014

Approval of M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling

Approval of M.A./Ed.S. in School Psychology

Mighty Macs championship teams 1972-1974 inducted into Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame

West Campus Housing apartments open

1145 King Road, Immaculata, PA. 19345
p. 610-647-4400 or call toll-free: 1-877-42 TODAY
Federal Compliance Links | Clery | Employment
Copyright ©2015 All Rights Reserved

1145 King Road, Immaculata, PA. 19345 p. 610-647-4400 or call toll-free: 1-877-42 TODAY
Federal Compliance Links | Clery | Employment
Immaculata University | Copyright ©2015 All Rights Reserved