College of Undergraduate Studies

Financial Assistance

Financial Loans

If you study abroad, you are eligible for federal funding, that is, Stafford Loans, Parent Plus Loans, Pell Grants (if eligible).  You are not eligible for Immaculata grants and scholarships.  If you are taking an accredited course, you may be eligible for your PHEAA state grant as well. NAFSA: Association of International Educators has provided the following information about study abroad finances. Additional information pertaining to study abroad may be found on their website.

  • Federal Stafford Loan
    The Stafford Loan is in your name and is available to all students, regardless of financial need. If the loan is subsidized, the government will pay the interest while you are in school. If the loan is unsubsidized, you have the option of capitalizing the interest or of paying the interest quarterly during the in-school period. Payment of the principal itself (for both subsidized and unsubsidized loans) does not begin until six months after graduation, provided you remain enrolled on at least a half-time (six credits) basis.
  • Federal Perkins Loan (100kb)
    The Perkins Loan is a low-interest loan (5 percent) awarded to those students demonstrating the greatest financial need. Speak with your financial aid advisor for current information.
  • Parent PLUS Loans for Undergraduate Students
    PLUS loans are available to your parents—if you are a dependent undergraduate student—to help finance your education. Parents may borrow up to the full cost of your education, less the amount of any other financial aid you receive. There is a minimal credit check required for the PLUS loan, so a good credit history is required.

Federal Grants

  • Federal Pell Grant
    The Pell Grant is a need-based grant. To qualify, you must be a full-time undergraduate student with an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) below the limit determined each year. Speak with your financial aid advisor for current information.
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunities Grant (SEOG grant)
    This need-based grant is awarded to students demonstrating the greatest financial need. You must typically qualify for the federal Pell Grant to receive an SEOG Grant. Speak with your financial aid advisor for current information.

Federal Scholarships

  • David L. Boren Undergraduate Scholarships for Study Abroad
    The National Security Education Program (NSEP) provides scholarships to undergraduate students who wish to study languages and cultures considered to be important to U.S. national security. Students are not eligible to receive the Boren scholarship if they are studying in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, or the United Kingdom.
  • Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
    If you receive a federal Pell grant, you are eligible to apply for a Gilman Scholarship.

Other Types of Aid

  • State Aid
    If you receive state aid, you should consult with the Financial Aid Office to see if it is applicable to a study abroad program.
  • Third-party Scholarships
    Some third-party study abroad programs offer limited scholarships to students who attend their programs. Check with the programs you are considering to verify whether they offer scholarships.
  • Exchange Programs
    Some institutions have established reciprocal exchange programs with universities abroad so that students can attend a foreign university in exchange for their home institution hosting a student from the overseas institution. This option enables students to maintain the same financial aid package regardless of whether they are on-campus or studying on an institution-approved exchange program.

U.S. Study Abroad Scholarships and Grants List

A variety of organizations and institutions provide scholarships and grants for study abroad from the United States.

IIEPassport Study Abroad Funding

This funding resource allows users to search by country or subject to find study abroad funding information. The comprehensive database includes study abroad scholarships, fellowships, and grants.

Immaculata University | Copyright © All Rights Reserved | Federal Compliance Links | Clery Statistics |
1145 King Road, Box 642, Immaculata, PA. 19345 | p. 610-647-4400 x3060 or call toll-free: 1-877-42 TODAY |
Immaculata University is a Catholic, comprehensive, coeducational institution founded by the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.