F-1 Visa

You are here

If you plan to enter the United States for the first time to study, you will need to obtain an F-1 international student visa. For information on bringing dependents to the U.S., returning to continue studies, or renewing your visa, please refer to the U.S. Department of State website.


  • Contact your local U.S. Consulate or Embassy to ask about how to get an F-1 international student visa.
  • After you receive an I-20 form from Immaculata University, follow the U.S. Embassy or Consulate’s instructions to schedule an interview for your F-1 student visa. It is important to apply for your student visa as far in advance as possible. Most consulates recommend that appointments be made no more than 90 days from the intended date of travel, but some can make earlier arrangements for interviews.
  • Complete the following forms:
    • DS-156 Nonimmigrant Visa Application Form
    • DS-158 Contact Information and Work History for Nonimmigrant Visa Applicant
    • DS-157 Supplemental Nonimmigrant Visa Application (for males 16 to 45)
  • Pay the visa application fee. (Instructions are on embassy website).
  • Pay the $200 SEVIS fee using form I-901. If you are transferring schools, extending your program, applying for an F-2 dependent visa, or if you have paid this fee and been denied a visa within the last twelve months, you do not need to pay the $200 SEVIS fee.
  • To pay by mail: A check, international money order or foreign draft (drawn on U.S. banks only) made payable to THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY, IMMIGRATION AND CUSTOMS ENFORCEMENT. Mail the payment and completed I-901 form to the address listed on the form. A Form I-797 receipt confirmation letter should be sent to you within three days of processing the fee. Be sure to make copies of this receipt letter, and keep it with your other important immigration documents.
  • To pay online: Complete the form online and supply the necessary Visa, MasterCard or American Express information. Your name must be written exactly as it appears on the I-20 form. Print a copy of the receipt and keep it with your other important immigration documents.

Bring the following items to your visa interview:

  • A passport valid for at least six months
  • Form I-20, with your signature
  • Immaculata University admission letter
  • Completed visa applications (DS-156, DS-158 and, if applicable, DS-157)
  • Two 2”x2”photographs in the prescribed format
  • A receipt for the visa application fee
  • A receipt for the SEVIS fee (If you have lost the receipt, the visa officer should be able to view your payment history on the database.)
  • Financial evidence that shows you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period you intend to study
  • Any information that proves that you will return to your home country after finishing your studies in the U.S. (proof of property, family, or other ties).

Good luck with the process. If you have any questions, please contact the Office of International Student Services at Immaculata University at cconjar@immaculata.edu or call 610-647-4400 ext. 3116 or ext. 3239.

1145 King Road, Immaculata, PA. 19345
p. 610-647-4400 or call toll-free: 1-877-42 TODAY
Federal Compliance Links | Clery
Copyright ©2014 All Rights Reserved

1145 King Road, Immaculata, PA. 19345 p. 610-647-4400 or call toll-free: 1-877-42 TODAY
Immaculata University | Copyright ©2015 All Rights Reserved | Federal Compliance Links | Clery