Credit for Prior Learning

Credit for Prior Learning

Credits and technical and professional training (T/PT) from an institution without regional accreditation are referred to as credit for prior learning (CPL).

Immaculata may accept CPL credits in the following categories:

  1. Tested CPL - including CLEP (College-Level Examination Program), ACT-Pep, and Credit by Examination. A transcripting fee will be charged.
  2. T/PT reviewed by academic bodies - ACE (American Council on Education) and PONSI (Program on Noncollegiate Sponsored Instruction) credit recommendations are accepted as T/PT transfer credits. A transcripting fee will be charged.
  3. T/PT needing faculty review - Technical and professional training programs which have not been reviewed by ACE or PONSI require faculty review. Students complete the Technical and Professional Training Worksheet and provide all required documentation. A fee will be charged.

The number of CPL credits that Immaculata accepts from the various categories is limited. The total number of CPL credits transferable toward a baccalaureate degree may not exceed 63 credit hours. Students are advised to discuss CPL credit options with a faculty adviser or program director prior to initiating the process.


CLEP Tests

Immaculata is an official test site for the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), sponsored by the College Board. For more information, see the College Board CLEP website.

You have the option of fulfilling specific course requirements by acceptable performance in either the General Examinations or the Subject Examinations. Exams are 90 minutes long and consist primarily of multiple choice questions.

CLEP examinations are held twice a semester at Immaculata University.

If you have any questions or if you would like to register, contact Jane Wilson, CLEP administrator, at 484-323-3236 or


Credit by Examination

If you have acquired substantial knowledge in certain subject areas, you may request to earn credits by examination. Individual departments may designate certain courses for which you may earn credit by examination, and they will compose and administer an appropriate exam.

You can obtain full instructions for registering for an exam from the Registrar's Office or from the College of LifeLong Learning. A fee is charged for earning credits by examination.


Contact Us

For assistance, please contact Mary Kate Commiskey, Assistant Director, Academic Support Services and Veterans Administration Certifying Official, at 484-323-3242 or