School Nurse Post-Baccalaureate Certification
Approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, the School Nurse Post-Baccalaureate Certification enables B.S.N. nurses to practice holistic health care in school environments. The required education courses may be completed at the graduate and/or undergraduate level.
Required Education Courses
(May be taken at the undergraduate or graduate level)
- EDU 301 - Social Foundations of Education (3 credits) - Includes historical and political issues in education.
- EDU 381 - Introduction to Special Education (3 credits) - Explains characteristics of and approaches for meeting the needs of students with disabilities in both regular and special education classrooms.
- EDL 619 - Social Foundations of Education (3 credits)
- EDL 629 - Introduction to Special Education (3 credits)
You must be accepted as an enrichment-level student in order to complete EDL 619 and 629 at the graduate level. To be accepted to the program at the graduate level, you must submit a graduate application form with the application fee and an official undergraduate transcript.
Required Undergraduate Nursing Courses
- NUR 420 - School Health Theory and Practice I (4 credits) - Examines the health status of children and personnel in the school setting. Emphasis is placed on the assessment, identification, and resolution of health problems common to these populations. A clinical practicum of 150 hours in a school setting is required. Prerequisites: EDL 619 or EDL 629.
- NUR 424 - School Health Theory and Practice II (3 credits) - Addresses accommodations and adaptations necessary for students with disabilities. A clinical practicum is required, which includes 10 to 15 hours in an inclusive school setting, two hours of which will be a field experience at a child development center. Prerequisite: NUR 420.
Requirements for Certification
- Current R.N. licensure, B.S.N. from an accredited institution with a GPA of 3.0 or higher, or current enrollment in the Immaculata University B.S.N. program.
- Major requirements: Education 301, 381; Nursing 420 (one education course must be taken before Nursing 420), and Nursing 424. Education courses may also be taken at the graduate level.
Visit Immaculata's Certification Office website for specific instructions and required forms. For more information, contact James P. Osborne, Certification Officer, at email@example.com or 610-647-4400, ext. 3297.