School Nurse Post-Baccalaureate Certification
Approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, the School Nurse Post-Baccalaureate Certification enables B.S.N. nurses to practice holistic health care in school environments. The required education courses may be completed at the graduate and/or undergraduate level.
Required Education Courses
(May be taken at the undergraduate or graduate level)
- EDU 301 - Social Foundations of Education (3 credits) - Includes historical and political issues in education.
- EDU 381 - Introduction to Special Education (3 credits) - Explains characteristics of and approaches for meeting the needs of students with disabilities in both regular and special education classrooms.
- EDL 619 - Social Foundations of Education (3 credits)
- EDL 629 - Introduction to Special Education (3 credits)
You must be accepted as an enrichment-level student in order to complete EDL 619 and 629 at the graduate level. To be accepted to the program at the graduate level, you must submit a graduate application form with the application fee and an official undergraduate transcript.
Required Undergraduate Nursing Courses
- NUR 420 - School Health Theory and Practice I (4 credits) - Examines the health status of children and personnel in the school setting. Emphasis is placed on the assessment, identification, and resolution of health problems common to these populations. A clinical practicum of 150 hours in a school setting is required. Prerequisites: EDL 619 or EDL 629.
- NUR 424 - School Health Theory and Practice II (3 credits) - Addresses accommodations and adaptations necessary for students with disabilities. A clinical practicum is required, which includes 10 to 15 hours in an inclusive school setting, two hours of which will be a field experience at a child development center. Prerequisite: NUR 420.
Requirements for Certification
- Current R.N. licensure, B.S.N. from an accredited institution with a GPA of 3.0 or higher, or current enrollment in the Immaculata University B.S.N. program.
- Major requirements: Education 301, 381; Nursing 420 (one education course must be taken before Nursing 420), and Nursing 424. Education courses may also be taken at the graduate level.
Contact email@example.com or 877-428-6329 for additional information.
Visit Immaculata's Certification Office website for specific instructions and required forms. For more information about certification, contact James P. Osborne, Certification Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-647-4400, ext. 3297.